The other day I wrote a post about knowing when to split Siberian Iris. So today, here’s a little photo-journal of me dividing Siberian Iris.
Turns out that there are 3 bunches that should really be split, but 2 of them seemed to be more grown in than the other and I was worried that disturbing the ones that are grown in would impact their ability to bloom for the season. So I split one batch and will leave the other two for Fall.
Based on the information from the UMN extension center site, I kept at least 6 growing points in each bunch with adequate roots. Because they also emphasize keeping them moist, I put them into a trug of water while I was preparing the soil at their new sites.
Then I dug some holes in a few empty spots in my garden bed, plopped in the newly split iris clumps, filled in the soil and watered thoroughly.
Yes, I know the garden bed is a mess… it had not yet been raked out and prepared for fresh mulch. It’s looking a bit better now. It’s been raked, but new mulch has not been put down yet. Surrounding the iris are the day-lilies that are starting to come up.