I was so sure this going to be a success story…but alas, a cloudy film on all the dishes and glasses made this one a no-go.
Here’s what I did. I found a recipe for homemade dry dish detergent here: http://www.stacymakescents.com/homemade-dishwasher-detergent
But I thought that having those nice little cubes (like Cascade comes in) would be even better. So I mixed up a batch with some boiled water (in place of distilled) and then poured it into a silicon mold to make cubes.
I had a bit of surprise when I added the hot water. The whole thing foamed like mad.
I let that settle down and poured into the mold.
It only took a day to dry, then:
I was so proud of them, popped them into the washer and let it run! At first I thought it was ok, dishes were clean, glasses were ok. But then the second load…
I also discovered, when I “ran the numbers” that I was only saving 7 cents per wash over the cost of the Cascasde “pods” that I love. So, as my gamer-son would say “epic fail.” However, making them was fun, and a learning experience.
If you’ve got suggestions or recommendations on how to make this project work, let me know by replying below.